Teaching With Intention Chapter 6 Lesson Design

Well, here we are already at Chapter 6! This book packs such a punch and is such an easy read all at the same time! Here are my thoughts on Chapter 6 Lesson Design. This is an important chapter. I love the gradual release model. I love the Lesson Design Tool (Figure 6.1). I love the plan on page 81:

  • "Teacher Modeling
  • Guided Practice Within the Lesson
  • Guided Practice Beyond the Lesson
  • Independent Practice
  • Application"
I love how she relates it to her lessons on page 83. 
  • "She explains
  • She shows kids how
  • Give significant time to practice
  • time for students to reflect, share and teach
  • assess
  • I reflect and consider next steps"
I love Figure 6.2 also. I love the chart and the time breakdown. I agree with all she has to say. I know we need to do this! I beleive this is a great way to plan. I just don't know if there are enough hours in the day! I know I don't have to do this with every lesson - well, I couldn't do this with every lesson. I know once I started doing this with some lessons, it might would become easier. I know the brain would just start thinking like this on a more normal basis. 

I show my students their new learning. I demonstrate. I model. I use gestures. I use turn and talk. I use Whole Brain Teaching - gestures, mirrors, teach-ok. I get them moving. I get them talking. 

I like the criteria for anchor charts. Sometimes I think we can get so overwhelmed with the "cuteness" we see all over Pinterest, that we forget that the anchor charts have a purpose. 

I do like the Guided and Independent Practice tool. I do think that it is very important to think this through. This is where there is so little time at school. I just wish there were not so many meetings at school and so many other things that need to be taken care of so that we could do more of this important work at school. I think sometimes we lose the focus of what we need to be doing - teaching- because of so many regulations are in place. More planning and thnking should be going into our lesson planning and not our test taking planning. I know we need to reflect, share and teach - again - time! 

I love the last paragraph of the chapter. I agree - and have- admitted when things didn't go well. That's life. There are always times when this happens. We need to be honest with the kids. This is the chance to show them that it is ok 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Clutter Free Classroom Assignment

STEM Challenge